Insurance policy contract

SHOCKING SURPRISE!

auto insuranceFlorida law does not require that drivers carry insurance to pay for injuries that they may cause to other people! This type of coverage is called Bodily Injury. This is a voluntary coverage and thousands of drivers in Florida choose not to carry this coverage.

It can be tedious to review your auto policy. However, it’s better to be prepared than surprised. What if you get in an accident that is the fault of another? What if that person is uninsured or under-insured?

With these types of scenarios, you might want to look into expanding your coverage on your own auto policy. Below is a list of terms, and types of coverage that you should understand and consider while reviewing your auto policy.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

In Florida you are required to have a minimum of $10,000 in coverage for Personal Injury Protection (PIP). PIP will cover your injuries up to $10,000.00. PIP covers:

  • 80% of your medical expenses
  • Lost Wages
  • It is important to know that in the State of Florida, you must see a doctor within 14 days of the accident to receive the PIP benefits under your insurance company.

Bodily Injury Liability Coverage (BI) – Voluntary Coverage

Insurance policy contract Since we’re all human and make mistakes, you may find yourself in the position of being at fault for an accident. Even worse, this accident caused serious bodily damage. Although Florida is a no fault state, a person who is at fault for an accident is liable for injuries that are:

  • Significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function
  • Permanent injury within a reasonable degree of medical probability, other than scarring or disfigurement
  • Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement
  • Death

This is where your Bodily Injury Liability Coverage (BI) comes in to protect your finances, and help the other party.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) – Voluntary Coverage

Uninsured Motorist Coverage covers injuries that you may sustain due to the fault of another when the other person does not have Bodily Injury coverage or when the at fault party does not carry enough Bodily Injury insurance to pay for the injuries you may suffer. When you’re on the road, approximately 1 out of every 5 drivers (23.8%) does not have Bodily Injury Coverage.

UM will also help you in the case of a hit and run, or if the other driver’s Bodily Injury coverage was too low to help you cover your medical expenses (being underinsured).

UM is a voluntary option under your auto insurance. You can choose to carry different amounts of UM starting at $10,000.00.

Med Pay Coverage – Voluntary Coverage

As previously explained, PIP insurance covers the first $10,000.00 of your medical expenses following an accident at 80%. This leaves a 20% remaining balance owed by you. Med Pay is a voluntary coverage that pays the additional 20% balance owed after your PIP insurance pays. Med Pay can be purchased in different increments beginning at $2,000.00. If you carry $2,000.00 in Med Pay that means that the first $10,000.00 of your medical expenses will be covered at 100%. If you opt to purchase Med Pay above the $2,000.00, Med Pay will cover any additional medical expenses at 100% up to the policy limit.

Rental Car Coverage – Voluntary Coverage

Auto Insurance SuccessRental Car Coverage covers the cost of a rental car if you need one due to a car accident. Rental Car Coverage covers a rental car regardless of who is at fault in the accident. This coverage will allow you to secure a rental car while your property damage is being assessed and while your car is being fixed. This coverage will give you the ability to limit the inconvenience of not having use of your vehicle after an accident.

At Gomez, Berman, Yanchuck and Associates PLLC, we will have your back. Our team covers a wide variety of areas including Serious Personal Injury and Auto Accidents. Our firm will review your current auto policy at no cost to you…you know, the tedious stuff. You can email our office (info@gbyassociates.com) a copy of your auto policy and one of our staff will determine if you have the voluntary coverages previously discussed.

You may also contact us today to set up an in person appointment with one of our attorneys.

CategoryTips, Uncategorized

© 2017 by MyArea Network